When Ahmad Passed Beyond

If Ahmad should display that glorious pinion (his spiritual nature), Gabriel would remain dumbfounded unto everlasting. When Ahmad passed beyond the Lote-tree (on the boundary of Paradise) and his (Gabriel's) place of watch and station and farthest limit, He said to him (Gabriel), “Hark, fly after me.” He (Gabriel) said, “Go, go; I am not thy companion (any farther).” He answered him, saying, “Come, O destroyer of veils: I have not yet advanced to my zenith.” He replied, “O my illustrious friend, if I take one flight beyond this limit, my wings will be consumed.” 3805. This tale of the elect losing their senses in (contemplation of) the most elect is (naught but) amazement on amazement. Here all (other) unconsciousnesses are (a mere) play. How long will you keep possession of your soul? for it is (a case of) abandoning your soul. O “Gabriel,” though you are noble and revered, you are not the moth nor the candle either. When the candle calls at the moment of illumination, the soul of the moth does not shrink from burning.

The Masnawi - Volume 4, 3800

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar