To You The Prison For Me The Garden

The Prophet said, ‘My eyes sleep, (but) my heart is not asleep to the Lord of created beings.’
Your eyes are awake, and your heart is sunk in slumber; my eyes are asleep, (but) my heart is in (contemplation of) the opening of the door (of Divine grace).
My heart hath five senses other (than the physical): both the worlds (external and spiritual) are the stage (theatre) for the senses of the heart. Do not regard me from (the standpoint of) your infirmity: to you ’tis night, to me that same night is morningtide. To you ’tis prison, to me that prison is like a garden: to me the most absolute state of occupation (with the world) has become (a state of spiritual) freedom. Your feet are in the mud; to me the mud has become roses. You have mourning; I have feasting and drums.
(Whilst) I am dwelling with you in some place on the earth, I am coursing over the seventh sphere (of Heaven), like Saturn. ’Tis not I that am seated beside you, ’tis my shadow: my rank is higher than (the reach of) thoughts, Because I have passed beyond (all) thoughts, and have become a swift traveler outside (the region of) thought. I am the ruler of thought, not ruled (by it), because the builder is ruler over the building. All creatures are subjugated to thought; for that reason they are sore in heart and practised in sorrow.
I yield myself to thought purposely, (but) when I will I spring up from the midst of them (that are under its sway). I am as a bird of the zenith, thought is a gnat: how should a gnat have power over me? Purposely I come down from the lofty zenith, that those of base degree may attain to me. When disgust at the qualities of the low (world) seizes me, I soar up like the birds which spread their pinions.
My wings have grown out of my very essence: I do not stick two wings on with glue.
The Masnawi Vol 2 3550

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar