The Cardigan of Modesty by Ruhi Su


 I wore the cardigan of modesty* on me
Threw the bottle of rectitude on the ground, who cares
Haydar Haydar, I threw it, who cares
Devotees says it's sinful It's sinful,
the wine of my love
It's me that pours and drinks the wine
It's a sin of mine, who cares Haydar Haydar,
it's my sin, who cares
Sometimes I fly high above Watching the earth
Sometimes I go down on earth The earth watches me
Haydar Haydar, the earth watches me
Go ask Nesimi** Are you and your lover going along well?
Whatever the answer is She's my lover, who cares
Haydar Haydar, she's my lover, who cares

 *: By modesty, I refer to a cult of Islam called "melamilik" that is devoted to modesty, humiliation and living in purity.
 **: Nesimi is a Soufi philosopher and poet.
Translation by Meralina

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar