I Laugh As I Slay

When God loves people He afflicts them. If they endure with fortitude, He chooses them. If they are grateful, He elects them. 

Some men and women are grateful to God for His wrathfulness and some for His graciousness. Both are good, for gratitude is the antidote for all occasions, changing wrath into grace. The wise and complete servant is grateful for harsh treatment, both publicly and in private, for with the voice of gratitude comes the inspiration to give more. Even if God sends them to the lowest reaches of Hell, through gratitude God’s purpose is advanced. Outward complaining is a reflection of inward complaining to God. Mohammed said, “I laugh as I slay.” That means, “My laughter in the face of attackers slays their anger and hatred.” Laughter, here, is gratitude in place of complaining.
Fihi Ma Fihi - Discourse 48

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar